Thursday, June 27, 2013

Unpaid Internships: Exploitation or Valuable Opportunity?

Judge William Pauley, who sits on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, ruled that Fox Searchlight’s use of interns in the production of the movies “Black Swan” and “500 Days of Summer” violated minimum wage and overtime laws. 

While this decision is specific toward Fox Searchlight case, it has general implications that may put students and small business on a dangerous path.  From very early on in my college career, I took on many free internships.  I worked for a small law firm, a non-profit agency, and various other sized corporations.  At each position, I was able to do hands on work and learn about the field that I would eventually professionally enter.  From many of these internships, I still have contact with people I interned under and have developed a mentor relationships.  I can not imagine that I would be given these same opportunities if these small companies or non-profits were forced to then pay young college student. 
 
Furthermore, I would be curious to see if these same rules would be applied to government positions.  How many interns do the local city D.A.'s offices take, the U.S. Attorney's office, NYC Corporate Counsel? 
 
As a solo small firm, I was looking forward to having an intern in the office.  Someone I could mentor to one day to become my colleague.  It is how I learned to be a young attorney, and I believe it is a proven method.  However, this ruling gives me pause.  Especially for summer interns, who would normally take a 9-5 position in my office.
 
If the government pursues this ruling and begins enforcing minimum wages for internships, you may see more young adults without work experience trying to get a job in an already competitive market.  In the end, this ruling benefits absolutely no one.  
 
 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment